.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

 

The Things You Remember That You Tried So Hard to Forget

It seems strange to think of it now, but that thing in your life that's so big right now ... be it a TV show, style of clothing, cool expression, whatever ... chances are, one day it'll be not only gone, but completely forgotten. Just like Lucy Lawless.

So imagine my surprise (go on! Imagine!) when the other day I found myself recalling the horror that was 'Sex/Life'. 'Sex/Life' was an Australian TV phenomenon in the early 90's, and since so many Aus TV shows are ripped off from somewhere else I'm guessing it was reasonably popular in other countries too. (I could google it and see, but typing "sex/life" into Google is like looking up "Smith" in the phone book.)

For those who can't remember or never knew, it consisted of about 20 minutes of people talking about aromatherapy and the like, constantly looking at their watch, when finally - FINALLY - they would cut to the chase and say something like "premature ejaculation is a problem experienced by many men. So here's 10 minutes of footage of some Swedish models having it off" followed by footage of the same.

The show was incredibly popular for a while, and then thud, or splat, or whatever ... gone without a trace. And were it not for some freaky synapse malfunction, I'm pretty sure I would have never thought of it again.

In hindsight, it seems bizarre that it was ever made in the first place. However, it did serve to demonstrate that no matter how popular a show, it can vanish suddenly, never to be heard of again.

I take solace from this every time I see an ad for Big Brother.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?