.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

Fridge Magnets

The other day I saw a van owned by a company that sealed bathroom tiles without pulling up the tiles, or something like that. The van was covered in advertising for this wonderful service, but on the side, in prominent letters, was the killer punch: "Complimentary Fridge Magnet".

I told my friend Trev Mazz about this, and how ridiculous it was that someone, presumably shelling out a large sum of money for this service, would be swayed by a fridge magnet. But he disagreed, and said if you were having to choose between two tile sealers who were identical in every way EXCEPT one offered a free fridge magnet and the other didn't, well, you'd probably go with the ones who offered the magnet.

I have to admit he has a point. So next time you have to hire a tradesman, ask yourself "do they offer a complimentary fridge magnet?". You know it makes sense.

Comments:
We don't get those kind of amazing deals in Canada. For instance, I got a moose sculpture made out of beaver teeth and cow-pies for buying a 63" HDTV and home theatre sound system.

Of course, it is an awfully nice moose. I'm not complaining, really. It is starting to smell a wee bit, though.
 
I apply the same criteria when hiring the services of prostitutes.

You should see my fridge now.
 
I suspect these are the same sorts of people who hire design companies that use forks.

"Don't let just anyone rip your kitchen apart! Be sure you get a fridge magnet out of the deal!"
 
It occurs to me now the genius of this approach. Just a few months ago we were preparing a bid for a large government research grant. Our proposal involved 40-odd pages detailing our approach, qualifications, technologies, milestones, budgets, etc. We should have simply added, "And if you fund our research you'll get this wonderful complimentary fridge magnet!"
I'm not sure what would be on the magnet, maybe my face or a smiley sun or something, but it probably doesn't matter. Just throwing in a complimentary fridge magnet would have cinched the deal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?